If you are looking for vitiligo and melasma treatment, look no further. Visakha Instituite of Skin & Allergy prides itself for being the pioneer in vitiligo research and treatment in South India. Dr. Sasi Kiran Attili & Dr. Ratnam Attili have numerous publications on vitiligo/ white-spot disease, in International; journals and have spoken at a number of national and international conferences.
So, what is vitiligo? What are the causes?
Vitiligo is a condition which causes certain parts of your body to lose color and these include the skin, eye color and hair. The exact cause of vitiligo is unknown though there are a number of hypotheses. The most accepted hypotheses to explain the pigment loss include- autoimmune (where your body’s own immune system starts attacking its own cells) destruction of melanocytes (cells that create melanin, the pigment responsible for skin color); and, genetic factors that lead to developmental defects in the melanocytes.
It is important to remember that not all white patches are vitiligo. A number of diseases like post-inflammatory hypopigmentation, pityriasis alba, pityriasis versicolor, lichen sclerosus, etc, may also present with white patches. Therefore it is important you consult a vitiligo and melasma specialist. Visakhapatnam is privileged to have world-class dermatologists, who can help you.
Vitiligo even if affecting a small body part, can have humongous psycho-social consequences. Thus, vitiligo and melasma treatment has to be tailored to individual patient needs rather than to the disease. A vitiligo and melasma dermatologist in Vizag may suggest any of the following:
- Topical Therapy – A number of topical agents can be used to treat the condition. Topical therapies often involve the use of immunosuppressant creams, steroid creams, other topical drugs and vitamins.
- Phototherapy – Phototherapy refers to the medical procedure that involves exposing the skin to ultra violet light. It can be administered on its own or alongside a drug that will make your skin sensitive to light. Consult our vitiligo and melasma specialists in Vizag to discuss your needs.
- Vitiligo Surgery – Visakhapatnam is now becoming one of the leading destinations for health tourism. The availability of various modalities for vitiligo surgery is one reason for thus. Surgery for vitiligo involves various methods including skin grafting and even melanocyte transplantation. During the surgery, skin can be removed from sections with normal pigmentation to sections with less pigmentation. Excellent results can be obtained in stable vitiligo.
- Cosmetics – Here, cosmetics like concealers and foundations help hide white patches on the patient’s skin. Since vitiligo is easy to notice and a bit embarrassing, patients can resort to cosmetics to conceal, create uniformity of color and conceal any lost pigment on the skin. A vitiligo and melasma specialist can advise on the right cosmetic.
- De-pigmentation Therapy – This is the last resort used when vitiligo has affected the entire body. Often used in extreme cases, the treatment can utilize a topical medication like monobezone that helps eliminate the entire pigment on your skin thus creating a more even look. The downside to this treatment option is the fact that it leaves the patient vulnerable to skin cancer and sunburn. It’s a permanent change and most patients use it as a last resort.
So, after consulting the dermatologist, a patient can choose to undergo vitiligo and melasma surgery in Visakhapatnam or any of the other treatment options mentioned.